I began painting in the 70’s while living in the west. Inspired by the terrain and wide-open spaces, my paintings of this period depict my love of the area. After being away for many years I returned in 2000 to study the “High Sierra” and desert while re-establishing my ongoing passion for the mountains. For ten years I polished my craft by painting, showings, and galleries, working as the Executive Director for North Tahoe Arts in Tahoe City, California. In Reno, Nevada I was a working artist and an art instructor.
My works have been described as abstract expressionist while some have tagged me as an impressionist. In studying all mediums I like to think I have my own style and feel my work is versatile with watercolor, acrylics, and mixed media as my main focus. I enjoy painting “found” pieces and turning them into new pieces of art such as old mirrors.
Photography is another medium that evolved over time taking me from using the camera to catalog my work to using the camera as an artist canvas.
Whether I’m painting a floral, landscape, or abstract, I often like to use pure bold colors with a value system from the beginning to end of the spectrum inviting the viewer to share my adventuresome, creative spirit. Painting for me is putting colors from my heart and soul onto paper or canvas. Painting is playing with color as it allows me to express myself from the interior without words.
In 2010 my life took yet another turn and brought me back closer to my roots of Tennessee. Ownership of Gable Haus Inn in the high country of North Carolina has evolved into a new adventure.
As a native of Tennessee and through travel and living in the west in the early 70’s, I studied fine art in Reno, Nevada and Nashville, TN. Over the years I’ve had several solo shows and exhibited in galleries in the Nashville and Reno areas. My works hang in corporate settings as well as private collections throughout the southeast, Nevada, California, and Oregon.
- Nashville School of Art 1980 – 83 Fine Arts covering all aspects of the visual arts with emphasis on Composition and Design, Watercolor, Drawing, Life Drawing, Art History
- 2003-2006 Workshops with Tesia Blackburn of San Francisco (Golden Acrylics Rep)
- 2012 Avery County Arts Council
- 2008 Imagine That Gallery – Reno NV
- 2004 Wet Dog Gallery – Hopkinsville, KY
- 2004 All About Art – Hendersonville, TN
- 2003 VSA Gallery – Reno, NV
- 2000 English Galleries – Franklin, TN
- 1998 Riverchase Gallery – Hendersonville, TN –
- 1989 Riverbend Gallery – Hendersonville TN
- 2000 Greater Reno Balloon Race Artists Exhibit
- 2000 Sierra Arts Starvin Artist Exhibit Reno
- 2001 Sierra Arts Hilton Wine Tasting –A Taste of Art
- 2001 Sierra Arts Traveling Show
- 2001 Sierra Arts Starvin Artist Exhibit – Reno
- 2001 Gold Hill Days Exhibit – Gold Hill NV
- 2002 Reno Rotary Wine Tasting & Art Show
- 2002 Sierra Arts Wine Tasting & Art Show- Reno Hilton
- 2002 Sierra Artists Network, Tahoe City Member Show
- 2003 North Tahoe Arts Exhibit – Tahoe Gardens at Tahoe Tree
- 2004 North Tahoe Arts Exhibit – Cottonwood, Truckee
- 2003 Tahoe ARTour
- 2003 Cottonwood “Solo Exhibit” - Cottonwood, Truckee CA
- 2003 Sparks Visitor and Convention Center Art Show
- 2003 VS Arts Gallery – Reno, NV
- 2004 North Tahoe Arts Exhibit – “In the Abstract”
- 2010 Reno Open Studios
- 2010 Reno Artwalk
- 2012 Avery County Arts Council
- 2005 – John Breternitz & Chris Cox , Reno, NV “Sierra Spring”
- 2004 – Joy Ford , Hendersonville, TN– Murals – “The Islands” (Murals)
- 2001 - Harold Cutter, Reno, NV - Mural- - Remake VanGogh’s “Café Terrace at Night”
- 1999 – Scotty & Earline Dulin – Gallatin, TN – “Antique Hollyhocks”
- 1998 – Natalie & Bob Cranford – Trenton, KY – “A Sunny Day” (Mural)
- 2006 - Carson City Hospital – Two Large Paintings Depicting Nevada
Awards and Other Recognition
- 2002-04 Served as Executive Director for 2 years – North Tahoe Arts, Tahoe City, CA
- Taught classes in watercolor and acrylics at Lake Tahoe and in Reno, both private and public
- 2004 Served as juror in Lincoln County, CA